The Engineer-Design/R&D is responsible for researching and developing ideas and processes for new products, creating new product designs which utilize existing technologies, and improving existing products.
This position has no direct reports, but the incumbent should serve as a leader for the organization in project management roles and other team environments.
1. Develop and implement design standards and work instructions to ensure robust, capable practices and processes are available.
2. Consistently apply scientific principles and design standards during the execution of technical work.
3. Develop project management understanding the skills by participating in and /or leading R&D projects which are appropriate in scope and duration.
4. Utilize project management tools as prescribed by work instructions.
5. Maintain controlled documents, such as designs in all mediums (hard copy, software, electronic copies, etc...) required.
6. Evaluate and answer requests for product evaluations.
7. Analyze and improve existing products as requested or required.
8. Study emerging technologies to understand if or how they can be leveraged to create new products or improve existing products.
9. Other duties as assigned
1. BS in Mechanical Engineering or similar engineering discipline.
2. Zero-two years experience in manufacturing, design, or process engineering.
3. Advanced user of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
4. Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Solidworks, or other CAD software.
5. Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Materials and Equipment Directly Used
Standard Office Equipment
- CAD Software
- Plotters and printers
- Industry specific software
- Finely graduated scales
- Bolt cutters
- Wire cutters
- Abrasive saws
- Solvent cleaning tanks
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to sit, stand, and walk for extended periods of time, climb stairs, and lift or carry up to 25 pounds. They must be able to work in both an office environment and a factory.
Up to 10% travel, both domestic and international, is expected.
1. Advanced degree in a technical field.
2. Experience with or exposure to industry and government specifications such as ISO, ASTM, EN, and DTL.
3. Professional certification such as a registered professional engineer or Six Sigma
4. Multi-lingual (Spanish German, Portuguese preferred).
5. Working knowledge of metals, polymers, and natural fibers.
6. Project management certification or experience.